Feeling creative, I put an apple spin on a traditional cinnamon roll recipe. The results were yummy! A panful is perfect for a weekend morning in autumn.—Kim Forni, Claremont, New Hampshire
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 cups finely chopped peeled tart apples
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- APPLE CIDER CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 2 cups apple cider or juice
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine 2-1/4 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, cider and 1/4 cup butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread remaining butter to within 1/2 in. of edges. Combine the apples, brown sugar, walnuts and cinnamon; sprinkle over butter.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 slices. Place cut side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. For frosting, place cider and cinnamon stick in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 20 minutes. Discard cinnamon stick; cool cider.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and reduced cider; beat until smooth. Spread over warm rolls. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Apple Cider Cinnamon Rolls in Country Woman August/September 2010, p37
Reviews for Apple Cider Cinnamon Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review