Apple Cider Chicken 'n' Dumplings Recipe
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (3 pounds), skin removed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- In a Dutch oven, brown chicken in butter; remove and set aside. In the same pan, combine the onion, celery, parsley, salt and pepper; cook and stir until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with flour and mix well. Add broth and cider. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes. Increase heat to 425°.
- For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Combine egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Drop batter into 12 mounds onto hot broth.
- Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 10 minutes. Cover and bake 10 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted into a dumpling comes out clean. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Apple Cider Chicken 'n' Dumplings(6)
Sort By :
Looks very good. Something to eat and curl up with a blanket after wards.
I used boneless skinless chicken breasts and dried parsley....excellent recipe the whole house liked it!!!!!
My husband requests this recipe every fall when the cider is fresh in the store. I de-bone the meat and put it back in the pot before cooking the dumplings on top.
Didn't have apple juice or cider, substituted light beer, was incredibly good..
I used apple juice and it was wonderful. I followed the recipe exact. Will be making again! Shawn in Manchester, Michigan
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Chicken >
- Chicken and Dumplings >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Dumplings Side Dish Recipes >