Apple Cider Chicken 'n' Dumplings Recipe
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (3 pounds), skin removed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown chicken in butter; remove and set aside. In the same pan, combine the onion, celery, parsley, salt and pepper; cook and stir until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with flour and mix well. Add broth and cider. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken.
- 2. Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes. Increase heat to 425°.
- 3. For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Combine egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Drop batter into 12 mounds onto hot broth.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 10 minutes. Cover and bake 10 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted into a dumpling comes out clean. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (2 each) equals 721 calories, 27 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 220 mg cholesterol, 1,548 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 50 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer