Apple Cider Beef Stew Recipe
- 4 cups frozen vegetables for stew (about 24 ounces), thawed
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 envelopes brown gravy mix
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 2 teaspoons steak seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1-1/4 cups apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Place the vegetables, water chestnuts, mushrooms and onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the gravy mix, soup mix, steak seasoning and cinnamon; add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Add to slow cooker.
- Combine the broth, cider and tomato sauce; pour over beef. Add bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 12 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Apple Cider Beef Stew
Sort By :
This was a great stew! The whole family, include our boys (ages 6 and 9) loved it. Great flavours...something wonderfully different from plain ol' stew.
Really didn't like it. The cinnamon really threw us off and not what I think of as a beef stew.
Tasty and a fun way to celebrate the first cider of the season.
Made this recipe for a church supper and had rave reviews. Even folks who don't care for stew thought it was delicious! Love how the cinnamon comes through
Haven't made this yet but can't wait to do so. I agree with sg24fan, the McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning is fabulous; it makes for wonderful hamburgers!