Apple Chicken Stew Recipe
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/4 cups apple cider or juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer the potatoes, carrots, onion and celery. Combine the salt, thyme, pepper and caraway; sprinkle half over vegetables.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute chicken in oil until browned; transfer to slow cooker. Top with apple. Combine apple cider and vinegar; pour over chicken and apple. Sprinkle with remaining salt mixture. Top with bay leaf.
- 3. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Stir before serving. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 cup: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Apple Chicken Stew
"My family loves this tasty stew! I always add additional cider or apple juice so it's consistency is more like a soup."
"If you can peel and cube potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, 2 lbs.of chicken and an apple in 10 mins. You are far better than me. That is the supposed prep. time. The recipe was fairly good but was a lot of work before you get it into the slow cooker."
"The caraway gives it just the right touch."
"This recipe was a lot of work and end result was only fair."
"This was very hearty and flavorful! My husband hates vinegar and he loved the bite and slight tartness of the stew. Definitely try this stew out!"
"I thought this was awful. It did smell fantastic while simmering though."
"Fabulous flavor! Planning to try it with beef next time, just to change it up. Not sure how others fared with broth, but I basically had none at the end of 4 hours cooking on high, and my potatoes were mush. Perhaps it's my crockpot, but will add either more cider or some broth next time!"
"I cut this down and made it for two."
"My husband and I tried it and we both loved it. Nice change of flavor."
"My family LOVES this stew. I've made it several times. I love the light apple flavor that comes through amidst all the spice. Truly DELICIOUS!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.