Apple Chicken Stew Recipe
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 4 medium), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1-1/4 cups apple cider or juice
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. Mix first four ingredients. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer vegetables; sprinkle with half of the salt mixture.
- 2. Toss chicken with oil and remaining salt mixture. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown chicken in batches. Add to slow cooker. Top with bay leaf and apple. Add vinegar and cider.
- 3. Cook, covered, on high until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, 3 to 3-1/2 hours. Discard bay leaf. Stir before serving. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 284 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 533mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Apple Chicken Stew
"My family loves this tasty stew! I always add additional cider or apple juice so it's consistency is more like a soup."
"The caraway gives it just the right touch."
"This recipe was a lot of work and end result was only fair."
"This was very hearty and flavorful! My husband hates vinegar and he loved the bite and slight tartness of the stew. Definitely try this stew out!"
"I thought this was awful. It did smell fantastic while simmering though."
"Fabulous flavor! Planning to try it with beef next time, just to change it up. Not sure how others fared with broth, but I basically had none at the end of 4 hours cooking on high, and my potatoes were mush. Perhaps it's my crockpot, but will add either more cider or some broth next time!"
"I cut this down and made it for two."
"My husband and I tried it and we both loved it. Nice change of flavor."
"My family LOVES this stew. I've made it several times. I love the light apple flavor that comes through amidst all the spice. Truly DELICIOUS!"