Apple Chicken Stew Recipe
"My husband and I enjoy visiting the apple orchards in nearby Nebraska City," explains Carol Mathias of Lincoln, Nebraska. "We always buy cider to use in this sensational slow-cooked stew."
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/4 cups apple cider or juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer the potatoes, carrots, onion and celery. Combine the salt, thyme, pepper and caraway; sprinkle half over vegetables.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute chicken in oil until browned; transfer to slow cooker. Top with apple. Combine apple cider and vinegar; pour over chicken and apple. Sprinkle with remaining salt mixture. Top with bay leaf.
- 3. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Stir before serving. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Apple Chicken Stew
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC