- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1-1/4 cups apple cider or juice
- Minced fresh parsley
- Layer vegetables in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Mix seasonings; sprinkle half of the mixture over top.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute chicken until browned; stir in remaining seasonings. Add to slow cooker. Top with bay leaf and apple. Add vinegar and cider.
- Cook, covered, on high until vegetables are tender, 4-5 hours. Discard bay leaf. Stir before serving. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Apple Chicken Stew
"My family loves this tasty stew! I always add additional cider or apple juice so it's consistency is more like a soup."
"The caraway gives it just the right touch."
"This recipe was a lot of work and end result was only fair."
"This was very hearty and flavorful! My husband hates vinegar and he loved the bite and slight tartness of the stew. Definitely try this stew out!"
"I thought this was awful. It did smell fantastic while simmering though."
"Fabulous flavor! Planning to try it with beef next time, just to change it up. Not sure how others fared with broth, but I basically had none at the end of 4 hours cooking on high, and my potatoes were mush. Perhaps it's my crockpot, but will add either more cider or some broth next time!"
"I cut this down and made it for two."
"My husband and I tried it and we both loved it. Nice change of flavor."
"My family LOVES this stew. I've made it several times. I love the light apple flavor that comes through amidst all the spice. Truly DELICIOUS!"