Apple Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 package (6 ounces) chicken-flavored rice mix
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1. In a large skillet, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon butter until juices run clear; remove and keep warm. Set seasoning packet from rice mix aside. In the same skillet, saute rice mix in remaining butter for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- 2. Add the water, broth, apple juice, apple, mushrooms, onion, cranberries and contents of rice seasoning packet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally. Return chicken to the pan; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Analysis: One 1-1/4 cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium broth) equals 391 calories 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 81 mg cholesterol, 818 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 32 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fruit.