- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 package (6 ounces) chicken-flavored rice mix
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon butter until juices run clear; remove and keep warm. Set seasoning packet from rice mix aside. In the same skillet, saute rice mix in remaining butter for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the water, broth, apple juice, apple, mushrooms, onion, cranberries and contents of rice seasoning packet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally. Return chicken to the pan; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Apple Chicken and Rice
Sort By :
"Delicious and very easy to make. We enjoyed this a great deal. I"
"I completely modified this recipe to reduce the sodium content. I used whole grain rice instead of the boxed chicken rice & put everything into my dutch oven. Baked it all together for an hour & 15 minutes. I also added some cinnamon to it & dried cherries vs the cranberries. The chicken was really tender with a good flavor but the rice was a little bland. Was missing something that I haven't put my finger on yet."
"I made this for dinner and my husband and we loved it. He said that it is a keeper. To make it healthier I substituted Smart Balance Buttery Spread for the butter. Just be sure that it is the kind that you can use for cooking and baking. I didn't have dried cranberries so I used dried currants instead. My husband said that the leftovers tasted even better."
"I've made this a few times now, and it is always easy and delicious. The last time I didn't have chicken flavored rice, so I used a wild and brown rice mix and added 1/4 tsp of poultry seasoning. I also omit the mushrooms. Yum."