"The first time we tried this lightly sweet chicken, I knew I's be making it for a long time to come," says Nadene MacLeod of Springfield, Massachusetts. "I serve it with a salad and bread."
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 package (6 ounces) chicken-flavored rice mix
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon butter until juices run clear; remove and keep warm. Set seasoning packet from rice mix aside. In the same skillet, saute rice mix in remaining butter for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the water, broth, apple juice, apple, mushrooms, onion, cranberries and contents of rice seasoning packet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally. Return chicken to the pan; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Apple Chicken and Rice in Quick Cooking September/October 2003, p39
Reviews for Apple Chicken and Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review