- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup diced peeled apples
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened. Gently fold in the cheese and apples. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Pat into a 9-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 450° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 scones.
Reviews for Apple Cheddar Scones
"This recipe is a family favorite! I make it exactly as written but sprinkle them with a bit more cheese on the tops before baking. Sometimes I bake them for a couple of extra minutes so that the cheese on the top gets nice and toasty."
"I agree that there is too much buttermilk. Especially when you factor in the moisture from the apple. I baked these for an extra 15 minutes and they're still too moist."
"I made the recipe exactly as written and had very good scones for breakfast. They do need a little more cheddar flavor. I used an extra sharp block from the grocery that I shredded myself, but maybe a more flavorful (and more expensive) aged cheddar would help."
"Delicious! I ended up using only about 2/3 c buttermilk, so be careful. I used a mild cheddar and when I make again, I would use a sharper cheddar to bring out the flavor more, but they are delicious!"
"I've wanted to try cheeses scones for awhile, so I tried this one. Very good. I had no problem with the buttermilk. I added the cheese & apple & mixed it in with the buttermilk. Thanks for sharing!"
"I misread the directions and ended up adding the entire cup of buttermilk which made the mixture too moist to knead, however, the taste was incredible. My whole family loved them! They turned out to be more like apple cheddar biscuits, but they were delicious."