Jeanne Alexander of Qualicum Beach, British Columbia serves these golden scones for brunch. Add a scoop of ice cream and they make a great dessert.
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup diced peeled apples
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened. Gently fold in the cheese and apples. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Pat into a 9-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 450° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 scones.
Originally published as Apple Cheddar Scones in Taste of Home August/September 2003, p9
Reviews for Apple Cheddar Scones
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review