Apple Carrot Muffins
Reports elementary school teacher Elaine Cooley from Louisville, Kentucky, "This recipe was given to me by the parent of one of my students. These fruity muffins are moist, tender and taste almost like carrot cake. They freeze well, too."
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-3/4 cups raisin bran cereal
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped peeled tart apple
- 3/4 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, beat
- the egg, buttermilk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until
- moistened. Fold in apple, carrots and walnuts. Fill paper-lined
- muffin cups or cups coated with cooking spray three-fourths full.
- Bake at 400° for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick comes out
- clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: One muffin equals 199 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 256 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber,