I make this delicious apple cake with the apples we get from a local orchard. Growers here in Ohio produce a wide variety of apples, and they're all good!
- 3 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1 large lemon
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 4 teaspoons butter
- For cake, beat eggs; add sugar, oil and vanilla. In separate bowl, combine the flour, soda, cinnamon and salt. Add flour mixture to egg mixture all at once; blend and stir. Add apples, nuts and raisins to mixture; blend well. Pour batter into well-greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan (13-in. x 9-in. baking pan may be used); decrease baking time by 15-20 minutes. Bake at 375° for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- For sauce, grate peel from lemon; measure out 1-1/2 teaspoons rind. Squeeze lemon; measure 3 tablespoons juice. Set aside. Beat egg yolks lightly; set aside. In separate bowl, blend sugar, cornstarch and salt. Measure water into saucepan; gradually stir in sugar mixture. Cook, stirring, until mixture boils clear and thickens. Remove from heat. Beat small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return yolk mixture to saucepan; cook and stir about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; add lemon peel, juice and butter. Pour sauce over cake. Yield: 20-24 servings.
Originally published as Apple Cake with Lemon Sauce in Country August/September 1990, p51
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Apple Cake with Lemon Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review