Apple Cake Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in apples and walnuts.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in sugars and cream. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over warm cake. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Apple Cake
Sort By :
"I searched for...and finally found...a apple cake that wasn't huge or have oil involved. This is lovely. I used four mini-loaf pans--buttered/sugared. I will definitely double or triple with sugared muffin tins!I did not do the butter sauce."
"This Cake reminds me of the old days when I was little that my mom would have tired. I made it and loved it today I am making a double batch of it, I thought it was missing an ingredient but to my surprise it was very good, I even added a little more cinnamon because I love cinnamon. This is a great fall recipe and will make it for Thanksgiving and Christmas"
"Didn't have the same success as the other raters. It didn't turn out evenly and I agree with earlier comment that the sauce had too much butter. Was disappointed."
"the cake was good but the sauce had waaay too much butter it in, it actually floated to the top so I threw it out. Certainly I could find a better recipe for sauce :-("