Apple Butterscotch Bread Pudding
Sally Sibthorpe's bread pudding, which features apples and walnuts, uses a unique combination of cinnamon and butterscotch chips to create a wonderful flavor. It's perfect for chilly winter mornings in her town of Shelby Township, Michigan.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 8 cups cubed French bread
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup cinnamon baking chips
- 1/2 cup Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional cinnamon baking chips, melted, optional
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Stir in apples and brown sugar. Cook
- over medium heat for 6-7 minutes or until apples are tender,
- stirring occasionally.
- Place bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Add the
- apple mixture, chips and walnuts; toss to coat. In a large bowl,
- whisk the eggs, cream and vanilla; pour over bread mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Drizzle with melted cinnamon chips if
- desired. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.