Apple Butternut Soup Recipe
Brighten blustery gray days with steaming bowlfuls of soup that's the color of California sunshine. Jane Shapton really wowed our taste panel with her velvety, rich, and slightly sweet creation! This low-fat recipe's a keeper.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 50 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1. In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook and stir onion in butter over medium heat until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the squash, broth, apple, water, thyme and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until squash is tender. Cool slightly.
- 2. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan; stir in cream and heat through (do not boil). Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 172 calories, 4 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 613 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC