Meet the Cook: As an ex-farm girl, I have fond memories of making apple butter with my grandmother. I often bake muffins for my husband and me to eat during job breaks. I work part-time, but the best part of my week is the time I spend at home being a wife and a mother to our daughter, born just last November. -Anita Bell, Gallatin, Tennessee
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup thick apple butter
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Combine egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups with a rounded tablespoon of batter. Top each with a rounded teaspoon of apple butter and remaining batter. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over muffins.
- Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: about 1 dozen.
Originally published as Apple Butter Muffins in Country Woman May/June 1995, p31
Reviews for Apple Butter Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 17, 2011
Reviewed Apr. 5, 2011
"Very good. I will be making these again. The sugared pecan topping added a nice crunch. I am excited to use the apple butter my grandmother makes in these, again and again."
Reviewed Oct. 16, 2008
"These are the most delicous muffins ever!"