Apple Butter French Toast Recipe
Mavis Diment of Marcus, Iowa, gives a special treatment in her baked French toast slices. She tops them with cinnamony apple butter and toasted slivered almonds for a pleasant sweetness and nutty crunch.
- 6 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons thawed apple juice concentrate
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. Place bread in a 9-in. square baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine egg substitute, milk, apple juice concentrate and vanilla. Pour over bread and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- 2. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and the edges are golden brown. Sprinkle with almonds. Combine apple butter and cinnamon; serve with French toast. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice equals 154 calories, 3 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0.55 mg cholesterol, 224 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC