- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup apple butter
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- BROWNED BUTTER ICING:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Combine evaporated milk and lemon juice; let stand 1 minute. Stir in apple butter. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with apple butter mixture, beating well after each addition. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 5-6 times. Roll to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- In a small heavy saucepan, cook butter over medium heat until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Pour into a small bowl; beat in the confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla. Frost doughnuts. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Apple Butter Doughnuts in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p55
Reviews for Apple Butter Doughnuts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review