Apple Butter Cake Roll Recipe
“This is a new take on a pumpkin roll,” notes field editor Debbie White from Williamson, West Virginia. Her spicy gingerbread cake might make you think back fondly to Christmas at Grandma's!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling YIELD:10 servings
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups apple butter
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon flour and 2 tablespoons sugar; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine remaining flour and sugar; add the cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, cloves and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, butter, molasses and water. Add to dry ingredients and beat until blended. Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form; fold into batter. Pour into prepared pan.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 12-14 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 4. Unroll cake; spread apple butter to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and chill for 1 hour before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 10 servings.
1 slice equals 283 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 143 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC