- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups apple butter
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon flour and 2 tablespoons sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining flour and sugar; add the cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, cloves and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, butter, molasses and water. Add to dry ingredients and beat until blended. Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form; fold into batter. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 12-14 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake; spread apple butter to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and chill for 1 hour before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Apple Butter Cake Roll in Taste of Home December/January 2007, p9
Reviews for Apple Butter Cake Roll
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 23, 2009
This roll was very easy to prepare and had wonderful gingerbread flavor. It was a big hit at work and with family. I did tweak the recipe a little, because I can't help myself. I used freshly ground spices and I added 8 ounces of cream cheese to the apple butter. The result was delicious. Thank you much for this change from a pumpkin roll for the holidays!