I love cooking so much I sometimes think of recipes in my sleep and wake up to write them down! This dream-inspired dish is my family's favorite way to eat chicken. —Holly Kilbel, Akron, Ohio
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- Combine the salt, garlic powder, pepper and cayenne; sprinkle over chicken.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Pour half of the apple juice into another container and save for another use. With a can opener, poke additional holes in the top of the can. Holding the chicken with legs pointed down, lower chicken over the can so it fills the body cavity. Place chicken on grill rack over drip pan.
- Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°. Combine apple butter and barbecue sauce; baste chicken occasionally during the last 30 minutes. Remove chicken from grill; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove chicken from can before carving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Apple-Butter Barbecued Chicken in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p218
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Apple-Butter Barbecued Roasted Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review