Apple-Butter Barbecued Chicken Recipe
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- Combine the salt, garlic powder, pepper and cayenne; sprinkle over chicken.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Pour half of the apple juice into another container and save for another use. With a can opener, poke additional holes in the top of the can. Holding the chicken with legs pointed down, lower chicken over the can so it fills the body cavity. Place chicken on grill rack over drip pan.
- Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°. Combine apple butter and barbecue sauce; baste chicken occasionally during the last 30 minutes. Remove chicken from grill; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove chicken from can before carving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Apple-Butter Barbecued Chicken(6)
Sort By :
Great tasting grilled chicken. I used my beer can chicken grill pan instead of using apple juice can.
I did this with chicken breasts...fabulous!
To burgers76: Just use a pan big enough to catch the drippings from the chicken, and stand it up on the lower rack of your oven. Bake at 350 - 375 and it will come out about the same as indirect grilling. You could add a little liquid smoke to the apple juice or sauce, if that is the flavor you think you'd miss by not using a grill. I just got the recipe, so I will be trying it soon.
Would love to try this recipe, but don't have a grill. I just have a countertop electric grill so its impossible. Too bad some of these great -sounding recipes aren't also shown for us older folks who don't use outdoor grills anymore
Love taste of home!!!!!!!!