I'm proud of this pie because I made it up in my head, and it turned out very well! It's a little different from traditional pumpkin or pecan pie, which makes it a nice holiday surprise. —Sherry Little, Sherwood, Arkansas
Featured In: 57 Bake Sale Recipes That’ll Earn Big Bucks
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup apple butter
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
- Sugared Cranberries (see Editor’s Note)
- Toasted chopped pecans
- Sweetened whipped cream
- In a bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Reserve one-fourth of the dough for cutouts; shape into a disk. Shape remaining dough into a separate disk. Wrap each disk in plastic; refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll large disk of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Roll small disk to 1/4-in. thickness; cut into desired shapes with floured 1-in. cookie cutters. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Refrigerate crust and cutouts while preparing filling.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Mix eggs, apple butter, pumpkin, brown sugar, salt and spices; stir in cream. Pour into crust. Bake on a lower oven rack 15 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°; bake until center is almost set, 30-35 minutes. Bake pastry cutouts on an upper oven rack until golden brown, 12-15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack; serve or refrigerate within 2 hours. Decorate pie with cutouts and toppings as desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Apple Butter & Pumpkin Pie in Country Woman October/November 2016
Reviews for Apple Butter & Pumpkin Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review