- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium
- heat. Add apples, sugar, raisins, walnuts and cinnamon; bring just
- to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered,
- until apples are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat;
- stir in vanilla.
- For bread pudding, in a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, 1-1/2 cups
- sugar, cream, vanilla and nutmeg until blended. Stir in bread cubes
- and apple mixture. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or
- until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- For caramel sauce, in a small heavy saucepan, combine sugar and
- water; stir gently to moisten all the sugar. Cook over medium-low
- heat, gently swirling pan occasionally, until sugar is dissolved.
- Cover; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook 1 minute.
- Uncover pan; continue to boil until syrup turns a medium amber color.
- Immediately remove from heat and carefully stir in cream and butter.
- Serve with warm bread pudding. Yield: 16 servings (1-3/4 cups
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 606 calories, 27 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 149 mg cholesterol, 312 mg sodium, 87 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.