- 3 pounds tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 10 slices cinnamon-raisin bread, cubed
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Place apples in an ungreased 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the bread, brown sugar, butter, extract, cinnamon, cardamom and salt; spoon over apples. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until apples are tender.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add the sugar, lemon peel and extract; beat until soft peaks form. Serve with apple mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Apple Betty with Almond Cream
"We added a touch of tangerine zest to the recipe! Great addition!!! :) second time making in two days!!! :) yum!!!"
"Dear Bleugerman.....you might want to put on some specs and take a third look :)"
"I had to take a second look at this recipe because I thought I made a mistake. Why does the recipe list 1/2 tsp cardamom and then 1/4 tsp cardamom? In the directions it does not mention using it two ways. So what is the right amount to use? I think it sounds delicious and I would really like to make it."
"Delicious recipe. A real crowd pleaser. I used plain whipped cream but I'm sure it would be even better with the almond cream."
"This is a great recipe....the almond cream really makes it!"
"LOVED IT! Will definitely make this many more times. It's delicious and the smell while cooking is divine."
"This is the best apple crisp I've ever tasted - even better than my moms."