Apple Beef Stew Recipe
Just about everyone has a recipe they know by heart. Well, this is mine. It's easy because all the ingredients (except the salt) are in measurements of two.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour 55 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole allspice
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1. In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, brown beef in butter. Add onions; cook until lightly browned. Sprinkle with flour and salt. Gradually add water and apple juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 2. Place the bay leaves, allspice and cloves in a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add to pan.
- 3. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is almost tender.
- 4. Add carrots and apples; cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until the meat, carrots and apples are tender. Discard spice bag. Thicken if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 526 calories, 28 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 163 mg cholesterol, 238 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 46 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC