Apple Beef Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole allspice
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1. In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, brown beef in butter. Add onions; cook until lightly browned. Sprinkle with flour and salt. Gradually add water and apple juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 2. Place the bay leaves, allspice and cloves in a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add to pan.
- 3. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is almost tender.
- 4. Add carrots and apples; cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until the meat, carrots and apples are tender. Discard spice bag. Thicken if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 526 calories, 28g fat (12g saturated fat), 163mg cholesterol, 238mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 4g fiber), 46g protein .
Reviews for Apple Beef Stew
"needs more carrots otherwise really good"
"For ASH_21:there is ground allspice and whole allspice seeds"
"Very good stew...very fun and fallish! Used a coffee filter instead of cheesecloth for spice bag though."
"I'm confused.... what is (2) whole allspice?"
" This does sound very good. I think it would be fine in the crockpot also, making the house smell so yummy after a hard day at work! :)
"Yummy! My family loved this twist on beef stew. Because all the water boiled down after cooking the beef, I added water enough to cover the veggies, along with some beef bouillon cubes to make the apple flavor more subtle. I also added cubed potatoes because I was nervous that there wouldn't be enough for my family of 5. I'm glad I did, and we ate it all!!"