Apple Bavarian Torte Recipe
A cookie-like crust holds the sensational filling of cream cheese, apples and almonds. This comforting torte, will be welcomed addition to a bake sale or potluck.—Sheila Swift, Dobson, North Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5-1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 6 medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in flour and vanilla until blended. Press onto the bottom of a greased 9-in. springform pan.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and 1/4 cup sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Pour over crust. In another large bowl, toss apples with cinnamon and remaining sugar. Spoon over cream cheese layer.
- 3. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 400°; bake 25 minutes. Sprinkle almonds over top; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Remove sides of pan before slicing. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice equals 213 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 87 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC