- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) sweet and spicy barbecue sauce
- 2 cups applesauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Sprinkle drumsticks with pepper. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Brown drumsticks in batches; drain. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining ingredients to pan, stirring to combine. Return chicken to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until chicken is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Apple Barbecue Chicken
"Delicious recipe! 5 lbs of drumsticks is a good amount. I steamed the drumsticks in my food steamer first, then boiled the sauce ingredients together.- Theresa"
"I used drumsticks and thighs and followed the sauce and cooking directions exactly.... wouldn't change a thing!"
"I made this recipe with boneless skinless chicken breast instead of the drumsticks. It was an instant hit with our children and they have requested it again many, many times since this past Fall. Easy, delicious recipe."