"This special oatmeal gets me going in the morning and makes me feel great all day," reports Linda Hocking of Mackay, Idaho. "My husband and son race mountain bikes, so they need foods like this that provide energy."
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup chopped unpeeled tart apple
- 1/4 cup sliced firm banana
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup oat bran
- Brown sugar, optional
- In a saucepan, combine water, orange juice concentrate, apple,
- banana, raisins, salt if desired and cinnamon; bring to a boil. Stir
- in oats and oat bran. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared without salt and brown sugar) equals 235 calories, 4 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 52 gm carbohydrate, 7 gm protein, 3 gm fat, 7 gm fiber. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fruit.