Apple-Balsamic Pork Chops & Rice Recipe
- 4 boneless pork loin chops (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium Gala apples, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1. Sprinkle pork chops with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown pork chops on both sides; remove from pan.
- 2. In same skillet, add apples, mushrooms and onion; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in rice, broth, vinegar, thyme, and remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, covered, 5 minutes.
- 3. Place pork chops over top; cook, covered, 4-6 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in pork reads 145°. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
1 pork chop with 1 cup rice equals 454 calories, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 498 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 38 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Reviews for Apple-Balsamic Pork Chops & Rice
"So tasty! I usually don't like rice, but this recipe went fast."
"This is a good recipe, goes together fast. The vinegar helps a lot by giving it a flavorful tang. I used instant brown rice as directed. Next time I'll either precook regular brown rice, or add more broth or less instant rice for added moistness."
"Rave reviews from everyone! Wonderful flavor combination. I used regular brown rice precooked. Everything else the same."
"Classic combination of pork and apples. Love how simple and easy this is. It is wonderful and my family loved it."
"Delicious and fast. I followed the recipe exactly except I used short-grain brown rice which I cooked ahead of time. Will make again--soon."
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.