Someone brought this crisp to a parish dinner at my church. I asked for the recipe, and now I take this yummy dessert to every potluck I attend.
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Add squash, pie filling and lemon juice.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, oats and remaining brown sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over squash mixture.
- Bake 45-50 minutes longer or until topping is golden brown and squash is tender. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Butternut Apple Crisp in Country Extra November 2002, p51
Reviews for Apple and Squash Crisp
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 3, 2015
"If you like Butternut squash, then you will probably like this recipe, but since I don't love squash, the squash flavor was too strong for me."
Reviewed Nov. 3, 2012
"We loved this butternut apple crisp.I am reprinting now to send to my Aunt after raving how wonderful it was"