Apple and Pear Topping
Dress a dish of ice cream or slice of pound cake in fall finery with this warm, comforting topping from Cora Garcia of Pomona, California. It takes only minutes, but adds real “apple-pie flavor” with saucy, seasoned apples and pears.
TIP: For a topsy-turvy variation, serve the sauce in a bowl and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3 large apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium pear, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a large skillet, combine the apples, pear, brown sugar, 2
- tablespoons water, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Cook and stir over
- medium heat for 4-7 minutes or until fruit is tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining water until smooth; stir
- into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until
- thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Serve over ice
- cream. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 3 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup (calculated with 1/2 cup reduced-fat ice cream) equals 197 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 45 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 starch.