Dress a dish of ice cream or slice of pound cake in fall finery with this warm, comforting topping from Cora Garcia of Pomona, California. It takes only minutes, but adds real “apple-pie flavor” with saucy, seasoned apples and pears. TIP: For a topsy-turvy variation, serve the sauce in a bowl and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Recommended: 47 Cranberry Desserts Worth Puckering Up For
- 3 large apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium pear, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a large skillet, combine the apples, pear, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons water, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Cook and stir over medium heat for 4-7 minutes or until fruit is tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Serve over ice cream. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 3 cups.
Originally published as Apple and Pear Topping in Simple & Delicious September/October 2006, p46
Reviews for Apple and Pear Topping
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 23, 2015
"Delicious! I served this over Ben & Jerry's Cinnamon Roll ice cream."