- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (3 pounds), cut in half
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large tart apple, quartered
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/8 teaspoon browning sauce
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown roast on all sides. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add water to the skillet, stirring to loosen any browned bits; pour over roast. Sprinkle with seasoned salt, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder. Top with apple and onion.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove roast and onion; let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Strain cooking liquid into a saucepan, discarding apple. Bring liquid to a boil; cook until reduced to 2 cups, about 15 minutes. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir in browning sauce. Stir into cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with beef and onion. Yield: 8 servings with leftovers.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Apple and Onion Beef Pot Roast
Sort By :
We like this recipe !
My daughter makes this with pork. Absolutely awesome! She made it at my house when we had out of state company and everyone had seconds...some had thirds! Oh, and granny smith does make a difference.....don't substitute.
Even though the apple gets very soft during cooking, we eat it with the beef and onions anyway. It almost becomes part of the sauce.
This was an interesting twist to roast beef. It was pleasantly sweet and light tasting. I will make this on a hot autumn day.
This makes excellent gravy! I didn't cut the roast in half and am puzzled why the recipe calls for that, as the roasts I buy tend to overcook easily in crock pots (or the oven, for that matter). Also, I added the mushy apple to the gravy for more flavor. The apples should be peeled if you do that. I will definitely make this again.
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >