- 1 loaf (1 pound) sliced bread
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon dried savory
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups Diamond of California Slivered Almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- Cut bread into 1/2-in. cubes and place in a single layer on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 225° for 30-40 minutes or until partially dried, tossing occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onions, apple, ham, celery and seasonings in butter for 15 minutes or until onions and apples are tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the bread cubes, almonds, currants, broth and juice; toss well.
- Place in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through and lightly browned. Yield: 16 servings (12 cups stuffing).
Originally published as Apple Almond Stuffing in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2006, p176
Reviews for Apple Almond Stuffing(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review