Apple-Almond Stuffed Turkey Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound) sliced bread
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium tart apples, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon dried savory
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1 cup turkey or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 1. Cut bread into 1/2-in. cubes and place in a single layer on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 225° for 30-40 minutes, tossing occasionally until partially dried.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute the next 10 ingredients in butter until onions and apples are tender, about 15 minutes.
- 3. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the bread cubes, almonds, currants, broth and juice; toss well.
- 4. Just before baking, stuff the turkey. Skewer openings; tie drumsticks together. Place on a rack in a roasting pan.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing. When the turkey begins to brown, cover lightly with foil and baste if needed. Yield: 12 servings (12 cups stuffing).
1 serving (1 each) equals 778 calories, 30 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 230 mg cholesterol, 973 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 87 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer