Apple-a-Day Casserole Recipe
- 6 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 6 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- Combine apples and carrots; place in a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Drizzle with orange juice. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and nutmeg; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over apple mixture. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until the carrots are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Apple-a-Day Casserole(3)
Sort By :
I made this dish to bring to a friendâ€™s house for a family dinner. We served it along side pulled-pork. It received rave reviews. I would recommend the tip on counteracting the blandness; adding a little bit of brown sugar and cinnamon really enhanced the flavor and aroma. If youâ€™re not so much of a cooked carrot lover, youâ€™d probably like this because the carrots are tender-crisp and blend in well with the apples. It tasted like a not-so-sweet-dessert. Even my picky 10-year-old son cleaned his plate.
To counteract blandness, try mixing one quarter cup packed dark brown sugar with one half teaspoon cinnamon; then after drizzling with orange juice, sprinkle with the brown sugar-cinnamon mixture before baking.
The topping was good, but the rest of the casserole was a bit bland.