Apple 'n' Pork Burgers Recipe
- 1/2 cup shredded peeled apple
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup drained unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 slices Swiss cheese (3/4 ounce each)
- 2 hamburger buns, split
- Lettuce leaves, tomato slices, sliced ripe avocado, mustard and mayonnaise, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble pork over mixture; mix well. Shape into two patties.
- 2. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°. Top with cheese. Grill 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- 3. Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato, avocado, mustard and mayonnaise if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
1 burger (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 529 calories, 26 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 99 mg cholesterol, 699 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 32 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.