Apple 'n' Onion Chicken Recipe
- 3 medium apples, sliced
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple juice
- 1. In a large skillet, saute apples and onions in butter for 10 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with chicken; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 2. Combine the cheeses, bread crumbs and thyme; sprinkle over chicken. Drizzle with apple juice. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a meat thermometer reaches 170°. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 285 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 348mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 36g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 0 fruit, 0 fat.
Reviews for Apple 'n' Onion Chicken
"The topping turned out crispy....yum! Next time I think I'll cut back on the onion and bump up the apple."
"The apples and onions sauteeing together in a pan created a delicious smell, and tasted even better! The crisp cheese/breading topping was very tasty as well."
"Savory blend of flavors. Very tasty."
"This was awful! My husband is usually easy to please, but the apple/onion combination was terrible. The chicken had little flavor and the topping made it seem very dry. It just begged for some sort of sauce."
"This even looks pretty.Thanks!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.