- 3 medium apples, sliced
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple juice
- In a large skillet, saute apples and onions in butter for 10 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with chicken; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Combine the cheeses, bread crumbs and thyme; sprinkle over chicken. Drizzle with apple juice. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a meat thermometer reaches 170°. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Apple 'n' Onion Chicken
Sort By :
"The topping turned out crispy....yum! Next time I think I'll cut back on the onion and bump up the apple."
"The apples and onions sauteeing together in a pan created a delicious smell, and tasted even better! The crisp cheese/breading topping was very tasty as well."
"this is the only baked chicken i will make!!! the chicken is super juicy and moist...even if you dont add the apple. The flavors blend wonderfully...Use real good swiss cheese, i like to add extra. its super easy...you wont be disappointed"
"I made this last night and the only thing i liked about it was the chicken. I don't see how the apples play a role in this dish. The chicken was juicy and the breadcrumb mix was awesome, but next time I'll leave out the apples."
"Savory blend of flavors. Very tasty."