Apple 'n' Honey Scones Recipe
These scones take little time to prepare and are wonderfully moist with lots of flavor.—Bernadette Colvin, Tomball, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, wheat germ, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the apple, milk and honey; add to dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface and knead gently 5-6 times. Gently pat dough into a 9-in. circle, about 1/2 in thick. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over dough. Cut into eight wedges.
- 3. Separate wedges and place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 8 scones.
1 serving (1 each) equals 272 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 299 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC