Apple & Herb Roasted Turkey Recipe
- 1/4 cup minced fresh sage
- 1/4 cup minced fresh rosemary
- 1 turkey (14 pounds)
- 1 medium apple, quartered
- 1 medium onion, halved
- 1 celery rib, halved
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup apple jelly, warmed
- 1. Combine sage and rosemary. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey breast; rub herbs under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks.
- 2. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Stuff turkey with apple, onion and celery. Brush with butter.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.) Brush with apple jelly. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes before removing toothpicks and carving. Yield: 14 servings.
8 ounces cooked turkey equals 626 calories, 31 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 262 mg cholesterol, 222 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 72 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer