Apple & Cream Meringues Recipe
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling
- Apple pie spice
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Using a pencil, draw eight 3-in. circles on a sheet of parchment paper. Place paper, pencil mark down, on a baking sheet; set aside.
- Add vanilla and vinegar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Beat in cornstarch. Gradually beat in brown sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a #18 star tip. Fill bag with meringue; pipe meringue in a spiral fashion to fill in circles on prepared pan. Pipe twice around the base of each shell in a spiral fashion to make the sides.
- Bake at 275° for 50-60 minutes or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Spoon into meringues. Top with pie filling; sprinkle with pie spice. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Apple & Cream Meringues in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p111
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Apple & Cream Meringues
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review