Cheese and sage go well with apples, so why not put them all in scones? These mini ones make a fall brunch, tailgate or party even more fun. Sue Gronholz, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) vanilla yogurt
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk, divided
- 1/3 cup shredded peeled apple
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk egg, yogurt and 2 tablespoons milk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in apple, cheese and sage.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 10 times. Divide dough in half; pat each portion into a 6-in. circle. Cut each circle into eight wedges; cut each wedge in half.
- Transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Brush tops with remaining milk; sprinkle with sugar. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 32 scones.
Originally published as Apple & Cheddar Mini Scones in Taste of Home September/October 2014, p84
Reviews for Apple & Cheddar Mini Scones
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review