Apple & Blackberry Pie Recipe
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 pounds tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- 1. Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough to fit a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the apples, blackberries, butter and lemon juice. Combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to fruit mixture and toss to coat. Place in crust.
- 4. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Brush with cream; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 55-65 minutes or until golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges with foil during the last 30 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 515 calories, 21 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 243 mg sodium, 82 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.