Appetizer Tomato Cheese Bread Recipe
I found this recipe a few years ago in a dairy cookbook, and it has become a family favorite. We milk 180 cows and have a large garden, so dishes like this that use both dairy products and fresh vegetables are welcome. My husband, Wayne, and our two children are mostly meat-and-potato eaters...but I don't hear any complaints when I make this bread!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing YIELD:12 servings
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch rubbed sage
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1. In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise and seasonings; set aside.
- 2. In a bowl, combine the baking mix and milk to form a soft dough. Turn dough onto a well-floured surface; knead lightly for 10-12 times. Pat into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, pushing dough up sides of dish to form a shallow rim. Arrange tomato slices over top. Spread with topping; sprinkle with paprika.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 209 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 521 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC