Anytime Turkey Chili Recipe
- 2/3 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the onion, green pepper, oregano and cumin in oil until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the beans, pumpkin, tomatoes, broth, water, brown sugar, chili powder and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add turkey; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup: 241 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 478mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 10g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Anytime Turkey Chili
"Both of my kids loved this chili. DH said it was a little bland, and I kind of agreed with him. I will make it again, but I will triple the spices next time. Our family loves bold flavors. It is a little thicker than regular chili, but an excellent way to use up left over turkey."
"Wonderful flavors! Ou new favorite chili!"
"Wonderful flavors! Our new favorite chili!"
"I was very hesitant to add the pumpkin but this was just the missing ingredient in ALL chilis! Fantastic! Just make sure you don't use the canned pumpkin pie. Use the pure pumpkin. I used 2 lbs ground turkey because that is what I had in the freezer. Just amazing! Thank you!"
"Was very good... and not too difficult to toss together. I used ground turkey instead of cubed and added a little extra chili powder and an extra can of beans. Next time I think I will add in some corn (a suggestion from hubby). Will be making again!"
"I really wanted to like this, but we didn't."
"Good Autumn recipe - used butternut squash in stead of pumpkin and it makes lots! Freezes well for quick meals on hand"
"This isn't my favorite chili recipe, but it was pretty good. DH and I liked it but the kids would not eat it."
"We did not like this at all."
"This recipe has become a regular at my house. I love the thick texture. I've substituted ground turkey at times and that comes out good as well."
"I was skepticsl about the pumpkin in chili but thought it was delicious. Great use for leftover turkey breast."
"What a great Chili! Cooked ground turkey ads a different texture, but is still great!"
"We loved this chili! I used cooked ground turkey instead of the cubed. I pureed it for my elderly aunt and she loved it! The whole family says It is so flavorful. It's going to be a regular at our house!"