Any-Season Fruit Bowl
A refreshing fruit salad like this one is a welcome addition to a winter meal. A hint of anise gives it real holiday flavor, and it looks gorgeous on a buffet table. —Frances Stevenson, McRae, Georgia
16-18 ServingsPrep: 5 min. + chilling Cook: 25 min. + chilling
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup lime or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 3 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 2 grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 2 large apples, cubed
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced
- 1 pound green grapes
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, sugar, lime juice, anise and
- salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook for 20 minutes,
- stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; cover and refrigerate
- for 6 hours or overnight.
- Combine fruit in a large bowl; add dressing and toss to coat. Cover
- and chill for at least 1 hour. Yield: 16-18 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 143 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 69 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein.