Anti-Vampire Potion (Butternut Squash & Garlic Soup) Recipe
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups peeled butternut squash, cut in 1-in. cubes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cooked bacon strips, chopped
- 1 package (5.2 ounces) Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs Gournay Cheese, crumbled
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add cinnamon and nutmeg; cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in squash and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until squash is tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender or pulse soup in batches in blender until smooth. Return to pan; add half-and-half cream and salt and pepper to taste. Heat through, but do not boil. Serve immediately with bacon and crumbled cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Anti-Vampire Potion (Butternut Squash & Garlic Soup) in Taste of Home September/October 2016 , p45