Anniversary Cake Recipe
You can make this lovely single layer cake from our Test Kitchen with or without the cake topper. Flavor the cake as you wish, and if possible, tint the frosting to match the wedding colors.
- ROYAL ICING:
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 2 to 3 teaspoons water, divided
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups shortening
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups milk
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR YELLOW CAKE:
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR LEMON CAKE:
- 4-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 teaspoons lemon extract
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR SPICE CAKE:
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 12 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups lemon curd, raspberry filling, apricot filling, poppy seed filling or purchased filling of your choice
- Gel or paste food coloring
- 1. In a bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, 1/3 cup water, meringue powder and cream of tartar; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat on high for 7-10 minutes or until stiff peaks form. (Keep icing covered at all times with a damp cloth to keep from drying out. If necessary to restore texture later, beat again on high speed. Prepare only half of the icing recipe if using store-bought candy roses or edible flowers to decorate.)
- 2. ROSES: Divide icing in half; set half aside. If using store-bought roses, refer to photo for position and attach roses to top of cake using a dab of icing. If making icing roses, cut a hole in the corner of pastry or plastic bag; insert round tip # 12 and fill with remaining icing. Holding the bag straight up, pipe a dome-shaped mound or icing on the flower nail.
- 3. With petal tip #103 and icing, hold pastry bag with narrow end farther away from the rose tip and turning the nail, pipe a row of three standing petals. Pipe a second row of petals, holding the narrow tip end at a greater angle. Repeat for a third row.
- 4. Gently slide scissor ends underneath rose and remove it from nail to waxed paper; let dry completely. Repeat with remaining icing to make 20-22 roses. (Flowers can be made several weeks in advance and stored in an airtight container.)
- 5. NUMERALS AND CAKE TOPPER: Set aside 1/2 cup of reserved icing. With round tip #4 and remaining reserved icing, pipe at least ten 3/4-in.-square "25"s, making sure to connect the two and five at the base of each.
- 6. For cake topper, place pattern of your choice under waxed paper; tape both to work surface. Completely outline edges; let dry for 10 minutes. To reserved 1/2 cup icing, stir in remaining 2-3 teaspoons water to thin. Fill in outline of cake topper with thinned icing, using the same tip. Let dry completely, thin place in an airtight container to store before use.
- 7. CAKE: Line two greased 12-in. round baking pans with parchment or waxed paper; grease and flour paper and set aside. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Stir in additional cake ingredients based on the desired cake flavor. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 8. FROSTING: In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and confectioners' sugar until well combined. Beat in milk, vanilla and salt until mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- 9. ASSEMBLING: Split each cooled cake into two horizontal layers. Place bottom layer on serving plate; spread with a thin layer of frosting. Top with 3/4 cup filling of your choice. Spread a thin later of frosting over the bottom of next layer; place cake, frosted side down, over filling. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer.
- 10. Set aside 3 cups frosting. Tint remaining frosting with color of your choice; set aside 1/2 cup. Spread remaining tinted frosting over top and sides of cake. Place reserved tinted frosting in a pastry or plastic bag with round tip #4. Pipe lettering and outlines over cake topper. Let dry.
- 11. FINISHING: Place reserved white frosting in a pastry bag with star tip #21. Pipe eight vertical columns around sides of cake. With the same tip, pipe a shell border around top and bottom of cake.
- 12. Just before serving, use small dabs of frosting to attach numerals between columns and roses at top of columns. Stand cake topper up in center of cake; continue to hold while piping two large dollops of frosting on either side of cake topper. Using leaf tip #69, pipe leaves around cluster of roses. (Dried decorations will collapse upon refrigeration. Remove to save.) Yield: 25-30 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 774 calories, 29 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 81 mg cholesterol, 454 mg sodium, 123 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Anniversary Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC