VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5-1/4 to 5-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 4 teaspoons aniseed, divided
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 6 eggs
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, brown sugar, salt, yeast and 3 teaspoons aniseed. In a saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add five eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 22 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on grease baking sheets. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat remaining egg; brush over dough. Sprinkle with remaining aniseed. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 22 rolls.
Originally published as Aniseed Yeast Roll in Taste of Home December/January 2005, p51